Monday, October 20, 2014

No excuses

Pardon the sudden intrusion.
I somehow have a guilt to explain where I've been for the couple of months.
And this is going to be a very lengthly post with a lot of words and not very much photographs.

I've been finishing my final year project (then and currently.)
It's been a hell a lot to take in also considering the fact that i have never done anything like this before.
And also INCLUDING the fact that throughout my academic life, i've never really been a hard worker.
(Now, this all comes from honesty. I am not trying to praise myself. )

During secondary school I've never really been very hard on myself academically.
I've had fun for the entire 4 years up till Secondary 4 mid-year where I really had to start studying for my N-levels (Yes, I am a Technical Student.) to actually get a spot in the course that I wanted which is what i'm currently taking, Fashion!

At that time I was slacking off in school.
Yes, the stereotypical way of putting it.
It was because I was a NT student. They didn't really bug us with homework or exams that much.
My class did fine in SS / Chinese / English / Business (or if you took science)
Art (or maybe you took DnT or F&N)
But of course, Math.
Mathematics.
And let me tell you one thing.
I was alright with most of my subjects.
Hell, I even get straight A's for all my english examinations and for my business exams.
(But granted, I sucked at mother tongue hence why I can't read/write chinese til this day.)
Also because I come from an english speaking family, I rarely speak mandarin at home at all so hence why it was a little easier for me.
I was also an Art student, which was a breeze for me.
Sure, I did cry sometimes and wondered why my art teacher had something against me that my artwork wasn't that great in comparison to everyone else.
Meh. It didn't bother me that hard.
But knowing that I had to. HAD TO.
Pass my mathematics in order to get into my desired course?
I had to put my pass through actual studying.

So i eventually did.
I hired my friend who was brilliant at academics.
(At that time, I was 16. She was 15 and in Sec 4. Yes, she skipped a grade. And she's an express students with honours. Every year. Hi, Jessica! If you somehow end up reading this!)
She saved me from actually screwing this up.
So, yes. I studied for about 2-3 months before my N' Level mathematics.
Went all the way back from the basics to all the way through algebra and so on.
I suddenly so an improvement and I passed my maths.

Now that's the only time in my entire academic life i've ever pushed myself.
And before you say anything.
I didn't push myself to that terrible of an extent.
I just went to tuition every 4-5 days for about 3-4 hours.
Went back home, did homework.
went to school, did more papers.
It's not like i beat myself up and stayed up all night or anything.
Nope, i did no mugging. Absolutely none of that.
And well, I got a C.
My form teacher was apparently really proud of me. This was the actual first time I did well in mathematics for the past few years in secondary school.
And I got into my course.

So now here's the thing, before joining this course.
The mindset of a fashion designer seemed like a dream, so luxurious.
You draw all day and night, choose interesting fabrics, get people to model your garments.
And you dream of your dress walking down the runway of New York Fashion Week.
NO
It wasn't the case. AT ALL.
We weren't going to spend day in day out just sketching or designing.
Heck, we were barely even taught how to design.
We were mainly trained on being Drafters and Sewers. (Seamstresses and those who alter your suit)
And till this day, I FELT LIKE I WAS BEING TRICKED.
I won't go into entire detail of my Year 1 experience but it totally changed my view on the industry and how much work goes into just one Shirt, Pants, Skirt, Dress and Jacket!
It's a totally different experience working behind the scenes of this industry instead of just twiddling your thumbs over your sketchbook.


I have learnt everything from Drafting, Basic Sewing Skills, Draping, Textile manipulation.. etc etc etc etc.

So, preparation for my FYP rolls around the corner after my Internship 
(You can click there to read the blogpost on my Internship experience!)

We started getting placed into various groups and themes we have to go by, Fine.
I'm happy with mine. I got placed into Japanese Monochromatic. Right up my Alley.
All black and white? Fuck yes.
Well that was what I initially thought.
We were given two months or so to complete an entire sketchbook about what our collection was going to be like, what inspiration we took, what we liked, what fabric choices we have. Blablablabla.
AND OF COURSE.
All of us (YES I PROUDLY SAY ALL OF US. HENCE ME AND MY CLASSMATES.)
 Did it last minute.
Of course we got some yelling and scolding from our lectures but meh, life goes on.
(And for the record I did submit it to him on time. After he extended the deadline like 2 months and 3 weeks later.)

And also, we were to provide sketches for Women's wear and Men's wear.
About 40 sketches for women's wear and about 20 for men's.
We are entitled to sew 3 Complete outfits by the end of November.
What do I mean by 3 Complete outfits?
A dress, Top and a bottom, Top and a bottom and a jacket, Top and a skirt.
What did I create? Now that's for another blogpost which I will put up once I've completed everything.

We have been rejected hands down over hundreds of times for our sketches and this entire FYP/ Graduation Runway show is a total bust.
My course is the first years. Literally, we are the pioneers of this batch in ITE College Central.
I'm pretty sure most of the school doesn't even know they have a fashion course.
We are so hidden and so silent in the eyes of alot of the school population.

To have my lecturers plan something they've never had done before.
It's not really going to go smoothly.
Besides the contradiction we faced with various questionable content they've given us.
We somehow manage to complete this first outfit and move onto the next.

This has really been an eye opener for me and how it's going to be like if i decide to pursue fashion.
I'm not giving up on this career path, God no. I'm just taking it to a different side.
I've always been a writer and I aspire to be a journalist (i'm sure you can tell.)
Being a student in this course has shown me hardship and tears over the simplest of things.
Also, money for good quality fabric isn't going to grow on trees.
I salute my mates who are putting up with a fight and who created beautiful garments.

So with that being said, this is what I've been up to for the last few months and why I haven't been blogging a lot.

I'm still heavily on social media so you can always come bother me there or look at my face whenever you want.
I'll be back in a few weeks.

X

Twitter - @annajuliettee (I literally tweet every single day.)
Instagram - @anajuliettee (Active)

No comments:

Post a Comment